Wednesday 6 June 2012

"Historic Abuse": Child abuse should not be so described

"Historic Abuse": Child abuse reported in adulthood is referred to b...: Child abuse reported in adulthood is referred to by all and sundry as "historic abuse."quotes Tom Perry in his blog.

At the Association of Child Abuse Lawyers - www.childabuselawyers.com and indeed at my own firm Abney Garsden McDonald (www.abuselaw.co.uk), we constantly wrestle with abuse which happened many years ago, and "Limitation" or "Time Delay", as it is colloquially known.

Using the word "Historic" is therefore not only ill advised legally in that it emphasises by its description the fact that the abuse happened a long time ago, but also disrespects the survivor whose suffering is life long.

I am going to be recommending that we promote this idea as a campaign on our Website. I also support Tom in suggesting to the Police, who first coined the phrase back in the late 1990's, that its use is abandoned.

1 comment:

  1. Hello.
    I have tried to ask for help with an experience that started when I was nine.
    I do not deserve what is in my name and it still causes me problems so although it is sometimes referred to as historic abuse it still does things to me.
    I think people expect it to be historic sex abuse and so something I could have counseling for and leave it in the past.
    I do in fact need help to put blockers on it.

    ReplyDelete